Tuesday, May 20

Real Life Fires: We are Home!

We are so happy to be home.
Seriously. happy.
So happy that I made this. 



We got home yesterday and stayed home all day
 enjoying each other and enjoying being here.
and these boys are home bodies,
so they love to putter and play
and hang out in their undies.

I've been overwhelmed with thankfulness ever since.
And pretty much amazement at how the Lord
always, always, always provides. Always.

So here's our fire story:
I went to pick the boys up from gymnastics after work on Wednesday.
As I drove down the hill on Twin Oaks there was a huge fire on the hill
right beside the road, behind the college.
The firefighters hadn't even gotten there yet.

I grabbed the kids from gymnastics and we were headed into the neighborhood
to grab a couple of things, when the hill across the street,
behind my parents house caught fire.
It looked like this:



An enormous cloud of black.
So I turned around and headed over to my brother's house,
about a mile in the other direction.
We waited. and waited. and watched the news and waited some more.
Finally we took the kids to Darryl's parents house and we came home to sleep.
We thought we were fine because the fire was blowing away from us.

Friday morning I went to the post office in my flipflops and Darryl went to pick up the kids.
When I came home, everything was evacuated. Completely closed off.
Main roads. Side roads. Everything.
No going in. Only coming out.
We were bafffled.

I went to Target and grabbed some bathing suits and toothbrushes.
My dad found a hotel for us about 30 minutes away. I met Darryl and the kids there.
It was weird. The whole thing was so weird.
We tried to kill time by swimming in the pool and
exploring the hotel and going out for pizza.
Of course the kids were in heaven because they got to stay a hotel,
but the waiting and not knowing when we could get home was hard.




Finally, finally after dinner we found out that the evacuation was lifted.
We wanted to go home, but the kids had their heart set on sleeping there,
and they were exhausted, so we stayed the night.
We got home Saturday morning.
And can I just say?...


I love home.
Want some mustard on that hot dog? 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment