Thursday, July 31

Why You Need to Make Something



I've been stuck. 
Like, really, seriously frozen. Paralyzed.
Can you tell by my absence?



And I couldn't figure out why I couldn't even move, creatively speaking.
I've had no desire to paint or make anything.
And I looked at my list of stuff and there was
702 have tos and no want tos.


My making {for me} time is after I put the boys to bed, around 8 or 9,
on nights that I don't fall asleep with them. 
And the thought of have tos after a long day just made me tired.
more tired than I already am. soul tired.
And then I read this, and I think she might live in my head:

There's another kind of tired, though, that is easy to mix up with Body Tired: it's Soul Tired. And sleeping doesn't help it. Sleeping doesn't touch it with a stick. 

Soul tired requires something different. And I think some of what it requires is more making. Generally, when I think about being Soul Tired, I'm living a life where I feel like I'm doing lots  of something I should do, and not enough of what I'm made to do. 

Ginger HendrixTime to Make 



So I mustered up enough energy to finish painting the boys' closet curtain.
Geometric patterns. As I painted I felt my soul starting to come alive again.
I started to feel light and free and happy and... alive is the best way to describe it.
I grabbed my paints and squirting different colors on different paper plates.
I made all of these different color combinations.
And I thought, "Oh yeah. I remember this.
This is what it feels like to play.
This is what it feels like to do what I was made to do."



I forgot.
I forgot that play is not some luxury I get when my bathrooms are clean and all my laundry is folded.
Play is what I need, in order to be able to do the work I need to do.
In order to live and play High Ho Cherry and do a million dishes each day.
In order to be happy and content and have the energy to do the work, I need to play.
Ginger explains it better. That playing (she calls it making) is important in and of itself.
Completely independent of the end product, the play has inherent value

I started by declaring that making is important. I started saying things like, "Everybody thinks of our creative lives as the mashed potatoes, but it's the meat. It's central. It's important."

I didn't wait for the work to be over. I claimed it as necessary and real and part of what I needed to do to live how I wanted to live. I just required that my regular life included it. 

Ginger Hendrix, Time to Make

I was saving my play time for the end, when the work was finished.
But it's always there. Waiting for me. Sucking the life out of me.
But when I turned my to-do list upside down and allowed myself to play first,
it gave me the life-giving, soul-feeding energy to do the work.
All these color combinations and patterns came welling up inside me.
I could feel myself come alive.







Now, tell your mountain of laundry to shush and go play.
Feed your soul. You will thank me. and her.
I promise.

 Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. what you create is simply dripping with life
    and I thank you for being such a sweet inspire
    in mine:) you really have been, don't you know:)
    love to you in the living large
    and big roomy joy to fill all your days
    (especially when you're feeling soul tired)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Timely, as usual. I appreciate you sharing your heart with strangers! Blessings to you in return for your boldness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I loved learning about Ginger and her book as well. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete