Monday, October 27

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling:: Day 28: Stamping Patterns, John 6

Start here. 

Day 28: Stamping Patterns
John 7:24




24 Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.

This whole chapter is confusing to me. I don't really get what's going on. 
This is what I get: Jesus is at this big Festival, and he waits until halfway through the festival to start teaching. When he does, the people "are amazed".

The verse that stuck out to me the most was Jesus's last statement:
Stop judging by mere appearances. 

I do this. All the time. It comes so naturally.
Mostly, without even realizing that I'm doing it.
I see someone and I think I know all about them. Really, I know nothing.
Even the people I think I know, I don't really know what is really going on in their lives. 

There is nothing good that can come from judgement. Nothing.
And God tells us in no uncertain terms.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Matthew 7:1-2


Yikes. I have a lot more grace for myself than I do for others;
but I also find when I start judging myself harshly, I end up judging others in same way.
And it happens so quietly and subtley. And it is so not of God.
It is all about me. He wants me to: 

 "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

That's it. Love God & love people. 
There is no room for judgement.

Father God I confess that I judge people, often without even being aware of it.
Please bring my judgement out of the darkness and into light. I lay it before your feet. 
I confess that I do not even know how to love you and love others on my own.
Teach me to put down all judgement, to lead me and guide me in 
YOUR love and YOUR truth and YOUR grace for you and for people.
Thank you for your patience and grace. Amen.

 Okay, Let's journal.

Materials: 

Gesso 

Colored Acrylic Paints

Empty cereal (or any food packaging) box

Pieces of craft foam (the kind kids crafts are made of)

Black ink

Tiny Paint Brush

Step 1: Prep your page

Add a few drops of different colored paint to one side of your journal.

Drag the paint around the page with a dry paper towel. Close your journal to "stamp" the other page with the wet page, to get a mirror image on the other side of the journal. 


Step 2: Make Geometric Patterned Stamps

Cut cereal box vertically, into inch long strips. 




Cut foam strips slightly smaller the cardboard strips.


Cut the strips into different shapes and patterns.


Adhere the foam pieces to the cardboard with Mod Podge.


Step 3: Stamp Your 
Journal Pages with Different Colors

I started with white.





Stamp several times to create a pattern on the page.


Step 4: Paint Vertical Lines in a Contrasting Color



Step 5: Choose other stamps and continue stamping.




Step 6: Add text in white.


Step 7: Add text in different colors.
Paint geometric details on the top and bottom of the page.


Step 8: Add text in black ink, with a really small brush.


And you are done.

Did you enjoy this post?

Sign up here to receive each tutorials, printables, and daily inspiration in your email.



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I literally canNOT wait to try this!! Thanks for sharing, you are so talented and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instructions. Great page!
    2 questions: 1. When did you use the gesso? 2. What type of book are you using?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO super creative, Erin Leigh. I really want you to know how genuinely grateful I am that you share your wonderful creations with us each week. It means so much to me, and I can't say thank you adequately. Have a great week, and I hope to see you share with us again soon.
    God bless you,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete