Wednesday, October 29

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling:: Day 29: olor Block Quilt; John 8


Day 29: Color Block Quilt 

John 8





 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, 
“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 8:31-32


What else can be said about this verse?
There is always freedom in the truth.
always.

Let's journal.



Materials: 

Gesso 

Colored Acrylic Paints

Patterned Paper 


Mod Podge

Black ink

Tiny Paint Brush




Step 1: Prep your page


Step 2: Divide your pages 

into 3 sections vertically and horizontally with white paint


Step 3: Paint the outside of each rectangle a different color.






Step 4: Paint a smaller, contrasting color inside each rectangle.
Then, paunt the center of the rectangle a different color.


Outline the rectangle in white.


*The truth about journaling:

Sometimes you love what you create.
Sometimes you hate it.
I finished this page, and then I hated it, so I kept working it.
I thought this was important to show you,
because remember my most important rule?

In order to make great art, 
you have to allow yourself 
the freedom to make ugly art.

It's always okay to make ugly art.
Allow yourself the grace and space and the freedom
to make something terribly, disgustingly ugly.
Case in point:


So, I painted over my squares.


I tore out a bunch of squares out of patterned paper
and glued them onto the page with Mod Podge.

Then I wrote the verse with white ink and a tiny brush.
After it dried, I painted over the white ink with black ink.


Repeat this to yourself before starting:
It's always okay to make ugly art.

Now go!

Did you enjoy this post?

Sign up here to receive each tutorials, printables, and daily inspiration in your email.




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this encouraging post! I get so disheartened when I make something that I think looks ugly after all the work that's gone into it. We must persevere to get to that good place. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post ... what's funny is I adored your first attempt! Also have to tell you - as I was reading the post I came across the word paunt which I know you meant paint, but when I first read it my mind immediately thought "oh, a new art term - I must learn more about this paunt!". Seriously!! LOL, I'm so new to this art journaling and love it, but wanting to learn more. Completely smitten with your work, it is always so happy, colorful and inspiring. Also appreciate that you make it seem attainable for newbies like me - breaking it down step by step. I'm always eager to tackle my journal after reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete