Thursday, October 23

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling::Day 27: Painting Patterns, John 6



If you're new to Scripture Art Journaling, start here.
Today I was at a loss for things to do, so I reverted to painting geometric patterns.
Think lines from day 2, with color.
Let's start.

Day 27: Painting Patterns 
John 6



I read John 6. I love the loaves and the fishes.
How he takes our not enough and turns it into overflowing.
It doesn't matter who we are {a small boy, a tired momma}
or what we have {smelly fish or dirty laundry}
as long as we are willing to give it to Him
with open hands.


He is a takes it from us, uses it to feed and bless and nourish others, 
and then gives it back to us, in abundance. 

More than we could ever ask or even imagine.

13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces
 of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.
John 6:13

So, then the question, for me, remains...
why do I hold my life, my time, my money,
my kids, my art, my marriage
with such tightly clenched fists?

When I know in my head that He takes my broken mess and makes it beautiful.
And yet I sit here clinging so tightly to my little pile of rubble, holding on for dear life.


I know in my head He is good.
I know in my head that he always always always provides.
I know that this life is not my own.
And each day I have to pry my little life out of my own clenched fists
to hand it over to the only One who can truly give me life.

 I hold on so tight to my stuff because I start to believe the lie

God is not for you.
God is not on your side.

It's so subtle that I barely notice it.
It just creeps in quietly and before I know I look down and
I'm weighed down with all of this stuff again:
my money, my marriage, my kids, my time

I think it's discipline, a habit, of consciously laying my messy life
my loaves and fishes
at the feet of Jesus each morning and waiting
 in eager expectation as He picks it up and
uses it to feed and bless and nourish others. 
Standing in awe as He gives it back to me, in abundance. 


Materials:

{Nothing new}

gesso

paint

black ink

super skinny brush


Step 1: Make your background.

Choose 3 colors. Spread them around one side of the journal to make a streaky look.
Close your journal while it is freshly wet in order to "stamp" the other side
of the journal.



Step 2: Paint an image on your background.
I chose the loaves and the fishes, of course.




Step 3: Paint your pattern.
Start with thick stripes of any color.


Add 2 more colors of stripes above and below your first color.


Step 4: Paint details on your pattern.

Refer to the activity you did on Day 2 for more ideas.
Think: dots, x's, dashes, zigzag.
Then combine: dash, dot, dash, dot, etc.


Let that coat dry and paint details on top of your details
in contrasting colors.


Step 5: Outline the image 

with black ink and a tiny paint brush.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. A blessed reminder of His provision..so much more than enough!

    ReplyDelete