Wednesday, October 8

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling::Day 24: John 3; Journal Stitching



Finally, I'm emerging.
Life always gets crazy in August and September when I go back to teaching and
birthday celebrations are in full swing.
No matter how much I try, I can never really brace myself for these two months.
And every year I freak out and say, "This is completely crazy. I can't do this."
And every year my sweet momma and those closest to me say,
"That's what you say every year."
And every year around the beginning of October my class gets
into their groove and we get a super sweet {two week} October break.
School doesn't take over my entire life and my own kids start adjusting to their schedules
and things begin to get back to normal around here.




I thought I'd start blogging again by finishing a series I started 2 {!!!} years ago.
While I've had the pages done for a long time,
 the editing and directions and time for each post have just eluded me.
So, here are the last pages of Scripture Art Journal!




Start here.

Day 24: John 3;
Journal Stitching 


My Process: 
John 3 is rich with  great verses to journal.
Again, I have more questions than answers, but I think that's a good thing.
I encourage you to journal your questions as you read. 

Here's what I love about this chapter. 
Nicodemus is a Pharisee. He comes to Jesus in secret, at night. 
He is super highly educated.
He would be considered the religious elite, 
a member of the Jewish ruling council.
And yet, he doesn't understand the spiritual stuff Jesus is telling him.
I love that I don't have to go to seminary or have a lot of 
book knowledge for God to speak to me through His word. 
His Word and his Holy Spirit are all I need to know the truth.
Everything else is helpful: sermons, commentaries, books, friends
but not necessary.

Okay for today's journal: 

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, 
but to save the world through him.
John 3: 17

I love that
There is no condemnation for those 
who trust in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1

God made us exactly the way He wants us.
And there is no shame in who we are.
Fear and shame are not of God. 
They are lies that quietly sneak in and try to 
put wedge between us and God.
I love that Jesus never accuses or condemns,
but teaches us how to confess, forgive (ourselves as much as others)
and move on in truth and love.

Let's start creating.
***Important: Please don't let the sewing/stitching scare you away.
The sewing machine part is completely optional, and not at all necessary.
I just want to show you as many fun techniques and tricks as I can to allow you
to choose when you are journaling on your own. ***


Materials:

Acrylic Paints

Patterned paper

gel medium {or Mod Podge}

Different colors of thread

Sewing machine






Steps 1& 2: Start by layering with paint and paper.

You can refer to Day 10 for more specifics, but I started this page as I did all of the others,
(only I forgot to take pics of the starting process, sorry!) 

First, cover the page with big blocks of a couple of different colored paints.
Use a dry paper towel to spread the paint, to give it a streaky look.
Wait for it to dry, and add big blocks of patterned paper with Mod Podge. 
Use a contrasting color (I used white) to paint more details.



Step 3: Pick Your Paper

Choose several pieces of coordinating paper to make smaller paper collages, off the page.
I chose these.


Arrange and tear big paper backgrounds to create several baby collages on,
but don't glue them down because you'll be running them through the sewing machine.


Here's how I arranged mine on the page and added smaller pieces to the big piece.



Step 4: Paint details on your baby collages.

First paint details with white paint, making patterns, doodles, and designs.


Then paint over the white with black paint. 


Step 5: Stitch Your Baby Collages

I used several different colors of thread and switched between a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch.




I overlapped the colors
to give it a loose feel.


Step 6: Glue Your Baby Collages down to Create a Final Collage

Done and done!


Hope you had fun with this.
Remember, you can stitch just about any paper to add some texture & interest.
Try it and let me know how it goes! 

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, "God is so amazing"! I found your 31 Days of of Scripture Art Journeling through pinterest two weeks ago and started going through the lessons. I have been having so much fun with it, and I told my SIL about it. She asked me to bring what I had done so far and tell the women at our church about it at our women's retreat this weekend. I did and the response was very enthusiastic. I gave them your name so that they could find your website for themselves. Many of them loved the idea of using old books to make a journal and thought that their daughters would like it too. So we are planning a time when we can all get together at church and have fun painting together. I couldn't believe it when I came home tonight and checked out your website and saw that you are finishing the series. This is such a God-thing! Thank you so much for the all the hours and effort that you have put into sharing these journaling lessons. You have no idea how many lives you are blessing! God is truly using you to minister to people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is awesome, so good to be here and soak up all that you share...blessings dear.
    Bevie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that I found you on IG and checked on your blog. Full of inspirations and encouragement. I see my continent on the map :) Trully thankful God loves the world not only certaint people.

    Mix media is a big challenge for me, too scare to jump in but I'll think about it after seeing your blog posts and tutorials! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete