Saturday, November 29

DIY Easy Advent Wreath: A New Family Tradition




Advent starts tomorrow.
I've heard about the whole advent wreath tradition,
but we've never actually done it.
It makes me nervous. Isn't that weird?

The boys are 3 and 6 now, so we thought we would give it a try.
Don't worry. My expectations are low.
If all they get out of it is lighting a candle,
and spending time together, that's great.

Here is the gist:
I had to confirm with my friend, wikipedia,
which tells you what an expert I am on this subject.
I know nothing about it, we're just gonna give it a try.
It's a way to keep our eyes on Jesus this season.

Okay, You make a wreath with 4 tall candles around the wreathy part,
and one big fat candle in the middle.
Traditionally, 3 of the tall candles are purple and 1 is pink, and the center candle is white.
That color scheme hurt my eyes and made me cringe. I just. couldn't. do it.
So I made mine red, with white in the middle
& I feel much better about the whole thing.

Beginning on the fourth Sunday before Christmas
you have a little devotion with the family.
You can read a short passage from the Bible and pray together,
you can sing a Christmas song, or even do a craft as a family.
The point is to pause and focus on Jesus.
The point is to come together as a family.

The important thing to remember is this:



THERE ARE NO ADVENT RULES.
(Yes, I'm yelling at you.)

Do what works best for you and your family.
If you have to start Monday instead Sunday, that's okay.
If you only have tea lights for candles, that's okay.
If you miss a week, that's okay too.

I think that anything I can do is a win.
Any time I show up with my family
to pause and celebrate the birth of our Savior,
God is faithful to meet us right here.
together. at our kitchen table.

He'll meet you at yours too.
Right where you are. Just because you showed up.
And I promise, your kids may be kicking and screaming or seem uninterested,
but they will remember this time.
He hears our prayers and He honors them
beyond what we ever will see.

If you're like me, and you have no idea where to start,
 google free advent family devotionals.
There are a ton of great resources.
I chose this one written by Dr. Mark D. Roberts.
I copied & pasted it into a Word Document,
and then changed it up to fit our family.
I shortened the scripture to one passage and changed it be
more centered around the Christmas story in the Bible.
I added some questions to help conversation.
That's it.

There are some really inexpensive Advent family devotionals on  Amazon.
You could also read a little bit of the Christmas story
from the Bible each week.
Whatever fits your family best.

Okay, let's make this wreath.

Here's what you'll need: 


An old tray
(I found mine at a thrift store and painted it)

Paper Clay
(You can get these at any craft store.)

4 tall colored candles

1 fat white candle



A leafy garland. You can get them at any craft store,
or make some from fresh greenery.




Nuts


Step 1: Make candle holders out of paperclay. 

Break off a piece of paper clay about an inch and a half wide,
just big enough to it in the palm of your hand.
Have a little bowl of water near, to smooth out all of the cracks in the clay.




Roll the ball around in your palms,
 dipping your fingers in water and rubbing them around
the crack and creases, to smooth them out.



Press your candle down in the paper clay and the smoosh
 the paper clay up against the base so the candle can stand on it's own.
These will be hidden, so they don't need to be pretty, just functional.


Do this with all four candles.



2. Use a garland to make a wreath.
Twist a long garland around in a circle to make a wreath.
Use the tray as a base.




Set the four big candles inside the garland wreath.


Place the big white candle in the center



3. Add  nuts to the center.

*You could also fill the center with small pine cones, snow,
mini ornaments, or anything else you can think of.



Now you are ready to start an
advent wreath family tradition.






Do you have any advent traditions?

I'd love to hear them! 

Did you find this post helpful?

Sign up here to receive printables, creative DIY ideas, and
a link to print out as many scripture art 
calendars as your little heart desires.




 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment