Sunday, November 9

His Kingdom Come: A New Online Christian Creative Community

 


Today I am celebrating the launch of a brand new online
Christian Creative Community: His Kingdom Come.
I am thrilled to be a part of this team of talented Christian artists
who have come together to launch this exciting new community

I also get to be a moderator for the Faith Art Journaling group.

I hope you'll join me there!



His KingdomCome is an online Community where fellow Christians can encourage,
share and learn about Christianity and
explore the God-given creativity that he has put in us all. 
 It will be a safe place to share your faith, be inspired,
and explore creativity across many art mediums -
 journaling, mixed media, painting, bible journaling,
textiles, watercolor and more.  
 
 
 
His Kingdom Come will offer free tutorials, technique classes, devotionals,
crafts to celebrate the holidays, opportunities to go deeper in
your faith and in your knowledge of God and the Bible.   
The website will also offer Christian artists a platform to host classes
(free or fee-based) which you will be able to sign up for.




I will be one of the moderators for the Faith Art Journaling Community.
I wanted to share a little about who I am, in case you are new here:

Here's the most decent picture of me I can find
in a weird pose, with my family cropped out.


Writing this post has made me painfully aware of how
desperately I need a good recent photo of myself.
That's right up there with going bathing suit shopping for me.
( I'm working on it. I promise.)
 I digress.
 
I create mixed media inspirational and scripture art out of just about anything I can find.
 I enjoy the challenge of creating beautiful things from what I already have. I am inspired by unexpected combinations of texture and color.

The most important part about me as an artist is that I am completely self (and YouTube) taught.
All through my 20s I thought I had missed the "art boat" for life.
That sounds so ridiculous now, I know. But then, it seemed impossible.
Although I love my career, teaching first graders,
back then I wished that I had pursued a creative career.
I never imagined that I could live this creative life.

I didn't start painting until I was 31 and extremely pregnant, on maternity leave with my first son.
Through big dreams and baby steps I just kept making. One piece at a time.
Since then I have taken big leaps: developing my blog &
Etsy shop,
being
published in several Stampington magazines, and becoming a licensed artist.

I live in San Marcos, California with my husband and two boys, ages 3 and 6.
 I teach first grade, stay up too late making things, and drink a lot of coffee.

Creating alone is isolating. That's why I am so happy to be a part of 
this new community of artists and believers.
 
 
 
 
Now I'm going to answer some questions:
How does your faith impact your creativity?
In every way possible. I think, no mater what your beliefs are, 
creating something from nothing is inherently spiritual.
So, whether I'm
painting a muralmaking a wreath,

creating a page in my art journal, or making a little banner,
 it's a spiritual process.
Creating, for me, always comes back to the Parable of the Talents. 
A man hands out talents (gifts) for his servants to invest and use and multiply.
The faithful servants who
 invest their talents come back with double what they started with.

Listen to what the man says to them:

"Well done, good and faithful servant;
you were faithful over a few things,
I will make you ruler over many things.
Enter into the joy of your lord."
Matthew 25:21
Wha??????? Seriously?
All I have to do is use what I have already been given.
It hasn't been given to me to deny or hoard or bury.
It's been given to me to give away. And then guess what,
I get more. Double.
The last part always gets me, though.
The last guy says,
 "I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground.
Look, there you have what is yours."
Matthew 25:25

Fear. It seeps in to every single area of life,
often disguised as distractions, or busyness, or humility.

I was afraid, so I hid it. I did nothing with it. I just let it sit there.
I wasted the precious gift that you gave me.
And the man's reaction?
"You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents."

Matthew 25:26
Wow. That's a little harsh, Lord, don't you think?
That's how serious our Lord is about us using the gifts He'
s given to us.
It's a command. It's not an if you feel like it, Erin.
No, it's Him entrusting little ole me with this precious, valuable gift.
To use, invest, develop, and give away.
Wow. That's crazy.

That's a really long answer.
I can't help it. I just got excited.

 

Why did you accept the moderator position for this group?   
 I was excited to accept the position because creating alone is isolating.
I'm excited to meet encourage and learn from other people who are on this creative journey.
Plus, I just think it will be fun. I like fun.

 
What other areas of creativity do you dabble in?
Everything.
I love sculpture and clay. I haven't done much since college, but I love it.
I like putting stitches in things and combining textures, like fabric and wood.
I like getting large pieces of wood and chopping them up and painting things on them.
I love paper clay and making stamps.
I like to paint furniture and make art for my home.

 
What are your hopes for this new community?

I hope to get to know people, see their creative process, and learn from them.
I love to hear and see how God takes the exact same words
 from scripture and speaks them into different hearts in so many different ways.It's pretty amazing.


 
Where to find me:
Sign up for my email updates here.
Pinterest

Instagram: @artbyerinleigh
 
 
Please  comment on my post here on my blog and join our community here. We will choose one lucky winner from the people who joined our community today to win a two prints from my shop. 

I hope you are as excited as I am at being part of this online venture.  Our vision is to build an online community not just be a project-led site.  A place where you can find encouragement, share your heart and your problems and find inspiration and friendship.

 
To join our community please visit His Kingdom Come
Sign up here to receive each tutorials, printables, and daily inspiration in your email.
 
 
 
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Erin, we are so happy that you have joined His Kingdom Come! Love your heart for Jesus, your creativity and your happy spirit. I love how you write what you are really thinking and feeling! Welcome and blessings to you family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin. This very exciting. I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhondi! THanks, for stopping by. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. Erin, welcome to the His Kingdom Come community! I have followed your blog for quite a while and am looking forward to getting to know you better through the community. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Thanks so much for following along! Looking forward to the new venture.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much Erin, I just signed up and very excited to take this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHH...Erin, I'm so excited you're a part of this!!! How amazing. Sorry I typed 'anonymous' here. Kind of a dope when it comes to these things. Anyway, I'm sure you remember me, so I'll include my name. First off, your prints have made a gorgeous contribution to my home, and it has prompted many visitors to ask about my faith! Woot woot. I found out about this online community and signed up, but I am BEYOND HAPPY that you're playing a part!!! This just made my entire day. Seriously. Thanks again for sharing your gifts. It was here at your blog that I first began Scripture journaling and started venturing outside of my comfort zone. I'm better at writing and music and although I deeply admire particularly Christian artists, I had never anticipated branching out and trying it myself. It scares me a little...lol. I am finding great freedom in it, and although some of my pages look like a 5 year old could've painted them, I'm excited to see where this new road will take me! Most importantly since doing this, I have drawn closer to God. I look forward to learning more!!! God bless. Hugs, Kimberly Reed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweet Kimberly. Thanks so much! Good for you for stepping out and going for it. Doesn't it feel good??? Not always easy, but SO freeing and life giving, right? So glad that you started and are steppingout of your comfort zone, into the unknown. You are brave! xo, e

      Delete
  6. I have followed your blog for a while. Your post today, especially about the parable of the talents, came at the right time. I was beginning to doubt my art and my writing. Thank you. I will definitely join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly, I'm so glad that parable spoke to you, too. It's so easy to look around at all the incredible talent and get discouraged about my own work, I know. It's easy to doubt ourselves, but it's so freeing and encouraging that we've been given a gift so unique to each one of us and we are commanded to use it & give it away. so good to know! xo, e

      Delete
  7. Erin, I loved hearing more about you and about your thoughts on gifts!! So happy that you are going to be part of HKC!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to your blog, but when I saw there was going to be a new creative community, I am in! its just what I need, I am self taught, and have really struggled in recent times with my creativity due some really ugly emotional stuff I have been dealing with, I have doubted my God given talent, so this is just what I need to jump start it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin, It is great to meet you. I love what I saw for your art so far. God Bless You on this new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, thank you for this message. I needed to read it today. I have no formal training in art but I love art and have been creating for years. You can't imagine what a gift it was for me to read this and the message of the talents. I so appreciate your encouragement and look forward to "His Kingdom Come."

    ReplyDelete