Monday, August 31

Journaling by Heart: Week 9: In Our Weakness He is Strong {2 Corinthians 12:9}


Welcome to week 9 of Journaling by Heart: our summer workshop for art journaling your faith. I know, I say it every week, but every week you guys encourage us {Melissa & I} with all that you are creating in your journals, how you are growing and learning and sharing.
If you haven't joined us on Facebook, join now. It's never too late! 

Also! Melissa has opened up a digital scrapbooking shop & 
she is generously giving away this adorable kit for the next 2 weeks! 
You can download it today. Thanks, Melissa! 



We started this workshop in the beginning of the summer because we both wanted to keep journaling and reading and growing during the summer months. Without some accountability & structure, that usually doesn’t happen for me. I’m so glad we did because it’s made me keep going and push through the hard stuff, when I would have stopped a long time ago, had I not committed been committed.


This week was by far the toughest week in terms of creating something that I’m not embarrassed to share! I just could not make this piece work. Been there?  I had to have patience and *grace* with myself and remember what I always tell you: This is about the process, not the product. It’s about what God is doing in His Word and in us to draw us to himself. This is our safe place where we are free to make ugly art and mess up and continue without judgement. When we are free to make ugly art, to be vulnerable in our creating, to not be afraid; then we will be free to take the risks required to make great art, to find our voice, our own personal style that is uniquely ours.

This is the essence of our faith. God sees our ugly broken bits and pieces, and He calls us daughter. He turns our sin into His glory, our darkness into light, our death into life. Jesus takes our shame and makes us radiant, just by spending time in His presence.

So, this week I kept saying, “I can’t do this Lord. This is too much.”
And I kept hearing, “You are right. You can’t do this, Erin.
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in {your} weakness.

{2 Corinthians 12:9} That’s how I SHINE—in your weakness.”

 I love the New Living Translation:

Each time he said, "My grace is all you need.
 My power works best in weakness."
So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ can work through me.
  
{2 Corinthians 12:9}

Let’s begin.


Supply List

Your Faith Art Journal
(See Week 1)
You can buy one or make one.



(white, cream, and any other colors you like)







Paper towels


Assignment: Choose a verse that is important to you to paint in your art journal. 

Step 1: Cover your journal page in white & cream paint. 





Step 2:  While the white and cream paint is still wet, add different colors to it to get some pretty pastel colors.  
Fill the whole page with color.







Step 3: Use black ink to doodle and design. 




Step 4: Add your verse or text. I wanted to try to create something a little different than my go-to brush script, so I mixed it with some bubble letters. This was hard and came out kinda wonky and it’s okay. Just. Keep. Going.






Step 5: Add gesso throughout your doodles.


And then it all went down hill.
I kept meesing up.
I could not get this right.
I just kept going.



Step 6: Add more color.


Step 7: Add more black ink. and repeat, until you feel like you're finished.
Or at least close enough.



Enjoy! 


 Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite pages yet Erin. I don't think you are capable of making "ugly" anything! I just love everything you do! (((❤)))

    ❤ Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this... what pretty colors and thank you for sharing that you too get stuck at times and mess up. It happens to me every time I start to paint words... hope it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete