Friday, November 6

Faith Art Friday: Week 2: A Scripture I Don't Understand

Welcome back to Faith Art Friday, Week 2! 



Each Friday Melissa and I will meet on our blogs with a Faith Art Journaling Prompt
for us all to respond to together. We'll post our journaling responses, 
along with a few tips, tricks, and ideas. 


Then *and this is the best part* we'll meet (that means you too) with our journals and responses in our private Facebook group. This group is such an encouragement to me! 

Come join us. 



When I saw this prompt from Melissa, I knew exactly which verse I wanted to journal. 

This one: 



Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matthew 5:48


Huh? Say what? Come again, Jesus?

Isn't the whole point of Jesus that I'm not perfect. I can't be perfect. 

Even if I try really hard, I will never be perfect. Hmmmm.


It is tucked into the Sermon on the Mount

When I read it in context the subheading is about loving your enemies:

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Okay, I understand loving and praying for my enemies. 
That is hard, but that is what God calls us to.
But I still can't be perfect. Ever.

In my feisty college days, this verse made me angry. 
Lord, why are you asking me to do something that I clearly can't do?

But now as I think about it, I only come to one conclusion: 
I will never be perfect in my own strength.
 Thank you Jesus for stepping in and being perfect for me. 
When I think about how crazy far I am from God's standard of perfection 
my response is simply: 
I need you.
I need you.
I need you.
Every second of every day, I need you.
Maybe that is the point is the point of the verse. To point me back to Jesus.

For today's journal entry I finally have a video for you!
I found some kraft card stock in my stash and decided to use it for my background. 
I used this simple little calligraphy pen with this Speedball white ink to start off. 
And then some I used some acrylic craft paints to add a little color at the end. Enjoy!
Here it is: 

What scripture do you have a hard time understanding, 
or understanding how it applies to life today? 
I'd LOVE to see your response! Join us here.

 Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. You did the video! Yay! It's so great, and your page is beautiful.

    ♥ M~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to share a treatise, but here is some of what I've learned. Matthew 5:48. The word perfect in Matthew 5:48 can also be translated whole or complete, implying a distant objective and ongoing, concerted effort (google Russell M. Nelson, “Perfection Pending,” Ensign or you might enjoy the beginning of a talk my friend's dad gave at a devotional - https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/john-s-robertson_complete-look-perfect/). I love the idea that Christ can complete my imperfections and bring us to perfection.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Điểm nhấn của sự kiện này Làm thế nào để biết được cô ấy yêu mình chính là Liên hoan Âm nhạc Làm thế nào để có được mái tóc dày Việt - Mỹ 2015 Làm sao để có được râu quai nón với sự góp mặt của các nghệ sĩ nổi Làm thế nào để có được tinh trùng khoẻ mạnh tiếng hàng đầu của âm nhạc cổ điển trong và ngoài nước: Nhạc trưởng HonnaTetsuji; nghệ sĩ sáo dọc nổi tiếng thế giới Paul Leenhouts; nghệ sĩ vĩ cầm Baroque hàng đầu của Mỹ Cynthia Roberts; nghệ sĩ Làm thế nào để xem được phim có đuôi mkv violon tài năng Zhan Shu

    ReplyDelete