Pages

Sunday, December 30

On Being Broken

I loved this sermon this morning.
One of the best Christmas sermons I've heard. ever.
Because I'm so broken.
We are all so broken.
This world is so broken.
 
And honestly
 I love this message of brokenness. 
I always have.
It feels like freedom.
It gives me hope.
 like this huge weight is lifted knowing
that I am now, and always will be broken
this side of heaven..

Knowing that I don't have it all together.
I'll never have it all togther.
and I don't have to pretend like I do.

Knowing that (every day when I wake up)
I need a Savior like I need air and water
not just a decision I made when I was 12,
but every single morning knowing:
I can't do this alone.
I don't want to do this life alone.
I need Jesus.

And Jesus changes everything.

He makes all things new.
He breathes life into the dead.
He makes ugly, gross things beautiful.
He turns our darkness into light.

I don't know how He does it.
But I know that He can't NOT do it.
Not in theory or in idea but for REAL.
right HERE. right NOW.

Read the gospels.
He can't come into something and leave it the same.
There is always a change.
every. single. time.
 
That is my prayer for me and for you in this new year.
To invite Jesus in.
To let Him change us.
To have courage to follow Him.
To have eyes to see and ears to hear.

*In Life of the Beloved Henri Nouwen speaks beautifully about our brokenness. He explains it in a way that I've never heard before, in a way that has always stuck with me.
I love this book.
 
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! And you are right, we are changed as we spend time with Jesus...

    Much love to you dear Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Erin! I think I REALLY needed to hear this...now. But I must remember it, revisit it often, and be thankful for it, too. So, thank you. Happy, healthy new year to you and to your family! I hope teaching is going okay for you this difficult year. Blessings, kath

    ReplyDelete