Pages

Saturday, November 6

Thankful: My Creative Book Club Sisters


Thankfulness: Today I am thankful for
my creative book club sisters
They are the best.

We get together once a month to
 make good  food, share life,
do something creative,
to tell our stories,
 and sometimes we talk about a book.
We always laugh. a lot.
If you don't already have your own creative group of women
 I highly suggest getting a few together and seeing what happens.

Right now we are reading:

This month we discussed the power of story
to engage us, to draw us in, to share our lives.

The part that really challenged me was this...
What stories do I tell about myself to others?
What stories do I tell to myself, about myself?

Those who do not have power
 over the story that dominates their lives,
 the power to retell it, rethink it,
deconstruct it, joke about it, and change it as times change,
truly are powerless, because they cannot think new thoughts.
 —Salman Rushdie

So my questions for you are...

What stories do you tell about yourself to others?
What stories do you tell yourself, about yourself?

Right after our bookclub I found this little golden nugget:
Mystele's free online class: Story-telling basics
 well worth your time.
She is a gem.

Happy storytelling!


1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I am really enjoying my book club too. Your idea of story reminds me of Donald Miller's book called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years". It's all about making your life a story. One of my favs... You are asking good questions. hmmm... I think I am probably harder on myself than I need to be in both areas. I find it so uncomfortable to promote myself too.

    ReplyDelete